On November 6, 2019 reSET joined forces with Leadership Greater Hartford to present Beyond Business As Usual: Impact Investing at The Hartford Club. This event was a response to a larger national shift in business away from profit as the only metric of success. Earlier this year, the Business Roundtable, an association of American CEOs, publicly stated that the purpose of business is no longer just shareholder value, but is stakeholder value (source). This includes customer value, treatment of employees, ethical supply chains, care for the community, and the environment. The event brought together investors and financial advisors to provide insights on how Impact Investing can help create self-sustaining businesses right here in our state. Impact investing is a mission-driven and community-based strategy that generates a return that includes both a profit and an impact defined by the investor and the business.
Panelists and Special Guests included:
- Dorothy Adams (panelist), Board chair of Capital for Change and experienced investor with a particular interest in social impact investing.
- Susan Coleman (moderator), reSET board member and University of Hartford Professor of Finance.
- Erika Frank (panelist), Community Investments Officer at the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving, leading the implementation of the impact investing program, HFPG Impact!
- Galia Gichon (panelist), Founder of Down to Earth Finance and author of My Money Matters.
- Randall Strickland (panelist), Director, Cornerstone Capital Group, LLC, specializing in Sustainable/Impact Investment, & Adjunct Professor, Bard College’s Sustainable MBA.
- Glendowlyn Thames (special guest), Deputy Commissioner and CFO/COO at CT Department of Economic and Community Development.
Here is a list of resources shared by our panelists and special guests to help you learn more about impact investing and take action:
Answers on grant proposals if nonprofits were brutally honest, part 3– article from Nonprofit AF, information on nonprofit finance.
Capital for Change’s Social Impact Investing page – contains statistics, annual reports, and impact reports.
Catalytic Capital: Unlocking More Investment and Impact – publication by Tideline with support from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
Demand Dividend: Creating Reliable Returns in Impact Investing – published by Santa Clara University.
Financial Performance of Impact Investing through Private Debt – published by Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN).
Hey, you want nonprofits to act more like businesses? Then treat us like businesses – article from Nonprofit AF, information on nonprofit finance.
Innovative Deal Structures for Impact Investments – research published by Blue Dot Law.
Investing for Impact and Performance: The Essentials – research by Cornerstone Capital Group. More research by Cornerstone Capital Group here.
Kiva.org – 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and online lending platform connecting lenders to low-income entrepreneurs and students in over 80 countries. Kiva’s mission is “to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive.” Lend as little as $25.
Lasting Impact: The Need for Responsible Exits – published by Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN).
Sacrifice Nothing – a meta study of the connection between ESG criteria and investment performance, across asset classes, conducted by Cornerstone Capital Group. More research by Cornerstone Capital Group here.